Chalk the Vote!
OWHC and the Oregon Historical Society are collaborating on activities for August 26, 2020. The year 2020 is the:
- 150th anniversary of the 15th Amendment (removed race, color or prior servitude from denying voting rights)
- 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment (removed sex from denying voting rights)
- 56th anniversary of the 24th Amendment (ended the poll tax)
- 55th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act (prohibited racial discrimination in voting)
- 49thanniversary of the 26th Amendment: right to vote cannot be denied on account of age for those 18 or older (This amendment has roots in an Oregon legal case, Oregon v. Mitchell, 1970)
To honor all of these important changes to our state’s and our nation’s history of voting rights, we encourage you or your organization to plan now for chalking the text of any or all of these significant amendments and acts in public spaces.
To learn more and access text for chalking click here: #ChalkTheVoteOR